Motoring Discussion > The new car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 7

The new car - Crankcase
Some of you might recall I was wibbling recently about a new car. After test driving some, and discovering the lead times are such I'm unlikely to get anything before the next century, I decided to pick a lightly used Skoda Superb "to tide me over". I had a Skoda Octavia, so it's "the next one up", as it were.

It's a top spec L&K with more toys than I've ever had, which pleases me mightily.

It's a plug in hybrid, and as I have a charger (from my Zoe days), I can charge it easily. The battery is widdly though it takes three hours to fully charge. And it will take you for about 20-30 miles apparently, which is feeling about right. It does recharge itself as you drive as well though, when you brake or go downhill, so you gain a few extra as you go.

I've only done three journeys so far. It will be interesting long term (to me anyway) to see what you actually get in terms of mpg.

I can tell you so far that according, of course, to the trip computer:

Back from the dealers. No idea what I was doing, no settings played with, just drove it like you drive a car. 60 miles, country roads, A roads and 9 miles of the M1. End result - 96mpg.

To local town yesterday for shopping. 16 miles return, it didn't turn on the petrol engine at all, so end result as reported: 300 mpg.

Finally, run out this morning for a walk - 40 mile round trip, and it went 74% of the way using battery. End result: 136 mpg.

It's clever enough, if you tell the satnav where you are going, to save enough battery such that in your final home stretch, in this case the village, it will run on battery only, so it uses petrol only on the open road if it can.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

Messages Author Date
 The new car new Crankcase 24 Apr 22 13:30
 The new car new Bobby 24 Apr 22 17:24
 The new car new zippy 24 Apr 22 17:32
 The new car new smokie 24 Apr 22 18:09
 The new car new bathtub tom 24 Apr 22 19:16
 The new car new Crankcase 24 Apr 22 20:57
 The new car new smokie 24 Apr 22 23:19
 The new car new R.P. 25 Apr 22 14:58
Latest Forum Posts