Non-motoring > Old people reminiscing - holidays Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 14

Old people reminiscing - holidays - smokie
SWMBO are in Portugal atm and were chatting about how holidays and related stuff has changed since we started work in the mid 1970s.

We talked about the cost and impracticality of phoning home from abroad, and also that phoning abroad from home (either often or always?) involved booking a call with BT.

Also that most went with travel agents on packages, flying was much more of an adventure than it is now, in 1970ish I went on a school ski trip and was only allowed by law to take £15 in currency, which was noted on my passport, other money was travellers cheques (with the inconvenience of obtaining and cashing them) etc etc

We couldn't agree on one thing, which was how much paid leave we had in our first job - she worked for one of the Big 5 banks and I was at the Coal Board. She thinks she got two weeks but I think I was on 4. Can anyone remember what they were on at about that time?

What we also remembered was we couldn't have odd days off to do this or that, but most things seemed to require attendance in person (we talked about signing mortgage docs, household repairs, dentist and doc visits etc etc) so we're not sure how we coped with that. Andin passing that no-one phoned their wife during the day - in fact I didn't have an external dial phone on my desk till some years later, and even then you weren't allowed to use it for personal calls, so I wonder how we ever arranged anything (especially as shops weren't open on Sundays too!)

Anyway - if anyone can remember how many days leave they got it'd be handy!!

btw I remember I was recruited as a clerical officer (with A levels) at 18 on £26.35p a week -good money in those days!!
 Messages Author Date
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new smokie 16 Mar 22 20:47
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new CGNorwich 16 Mar 22 20:57
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new Robin O'Reliant 16 Mar 22 21:48
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new Zero 16 Mar 22 22:00
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new PeterS 16 Mar 22 22:09
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new smokie 17 Mar 22 00:27
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new CGNorwich 17 Mar 22 08:22
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new tyrednemotional 17 Mar 22 09:45
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new DeeW 17 Mar 22 10:55
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new smokie 17 Mar 22 11:11
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new Bromptonaut 17 Mar 22 11:34