Computer Related > UPnP + router = headache
Thread Author: spamcan61 Replies: 11

UPnP + router = headache - spamcan61
Evenin' all.

This week I decided to upgrade the Spamcan towers IT infrastructure and use a proper NAS with UPnP support as my centralised media ( just audio for now) storage rather than leaving a PC on 24/7. Trouble is I can't get any wireless connected device to see the relevant server.

I posted this over on AVforums to no repsonse:-

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've been streaming audio files to my WiFi radios ( Logik IR100) from a Windows XP PC using Tversity UPnP media server for a couple of years without issues.

Recently I purchased one of these iomega NAS drives to avoid leaving the PC powered up 24/7 as it supposedly supports UPnP:-

go.iomega.com/en/products/network-storage-desktop/home-network-hard-drives/home-media/?partner=4735

I've connected this drive to my Netgear DG834G via ethernet, and stuck 90GB of music files in the 'music' folder.

Using a Windows shared folder I can play back these files on any PC connected to the Netgear, wireless or not, the Logik can see the shared folder, but falls over when trying to digest the file info - this is not a surprise or problem. It can access the files on the TVersity machine via UPnP and play them back fine.

However the iomega drive does not show up as a UPnP server on the Logik or any PC.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

What I have subsequently found is that a PC connected via ethernet to the Netgear can see the NAS's Twonky media server, so the problem seems to be wireless access to a UPnP server which is connected via LAN rather than WLAN.

Any ideas anyone, this is stretching my limited knowledge of networking :-/
 Messages Author Date
 UPnP + router = headache new spamcan61 6 Mar 10 20:10
 UPnP + router = headache new teabelly 6 Mar 10 20:19
 UPnP + router = headache new spamcan61 6 Mar 10 20:33
 UPnP + router = headache new smokie 6 Mar 10 23:07
 UPnP + router = headache new smokie 6 Mar 10 23:23
 UPnP + router = headache new spamcan61 7 Mar 10 12:01
 UPnP + router = headache new spamcan61 7 Mar 10 13:16
 UPnP + router = headache new spamcan61 7 Mar 10 19:45
 UPnP + router = headache new Zero 7 Mar 10 20:06
 UPnP + router = headache new spamcan61 7 Mar 10 20:20