Computer Related > Listening phones. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 10

Listening phones. - Crankcase

We all have seen the "my phone listens to me" stuff. I'm on the "load of old rubbish, it's a coincidence" side.

But.

This morning, breakfast conversation. Talking about the Bible. Someone said "I wonder who actually translated the first King James Bible"?

I said I'd Google it. You know when you start typing in the search bar Chrome offers suggestions in a drop-down? I got as far as "wh" and the suggestion was "who translated the king James Bible".

What???

I then went through all settings on the phone and the mic is turned off for everything except things like Waze. It's puzzlng me, this one. Thoughts?
 Listening phones. - Bromptonaut
If you use Duck Duck Go as the search engine it's a pretty early suggestion too.
 Listening phones. - Crankcase
Ah, really? When I get back to a pc I must try some other browsers and engines. Thanks for that.
 Listening phones. - Zero
google: I get as far as "who tran" and it comes up
 Listening phones. - No FM2R
Me too, "who tran" did it.

A while ago I went through a phase of trying to decrease what was being gathered about me and changing search engines was one of the things I did.

What I learned was that in my real life, if I ignore the sponsored links and stuff, Google is far better at finding what I'm looking for. By a significant margin.

I remember many years ago a conversation about on line advertising, long before it was a significant thing (Google or online advertising), and a senior Google guy said to me "Thing is, if we are showing stuff they want to see, then in their minds it's information not advertising. It's only perceived as advertising if it's something they're not interested in".
 Listening phones. - Bobby
Surely all these electronic devices can’t work with voice commands unless they are listening all the time for the appropriate prompt word?
 Listening phones. - Dog
#me too - who tran = Bing!
 Listening phones. - smokie
Yeah but you've all read a thread in which the full question was asked... I think it's reading your minds...
 Listening phones. - Bromptonaut
>> Yeah but you've all read a thread in which the full question was asked... I
>> think it's reading your minds...

Having read the OP whilst logged into Chrome and using Google the link was obvious. I've long suspected Google of using what I've done recently to "improve the accuracy of my searches".

OTOH I went to Duck Duck Go pretty much cold and King James was still on screen pdq.
 Listening phones. - MD
Well I just searched it on DDGo and I had to type the whole phrase in....
 Listening phones. - zippy
>> Well I just searched it on DDGo and I had to type the whole phrase
>> in....
>>

Don’t you see, it knows you are testing it, so it’s acting dumb!

:-)

Latest Forum Posts