Computer Related > Car4Play Computing Issues
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 12

Car4Play - No FM2R
I'm in Vienna using WiFi and mobile data, nothing special about either of them and they both work flawlessly with everything else I do. I am using my laptop and my telephone pretty much equally, both use WiFi and mobile data.

Repeatedly Car4Play is unreachable and I have to try several times before it will connect. It can happen at any time without logic, and is happening half a dozen times a day at least.

I did not have this problem last eek in Madrid, and I have not had this problem in Chile.

Any ideas? Not a catastrophe since it always eventually connects, but kind of a pain especially if one has written a long post.
 Car4Play - Zero
its been fine here all day, As its location specific I would suggest its the ISP DNS

We are however grateful to the ISP your longer posts got truncated.
 Car4Play - No FM2R
I's been several days. Given that it is Mobile data and WiFi I suspect that it is not the ISP.

Still no biggie, and if it's just me I shall ignore it.
 Car4Play - Zero
>> I's been several days. Given that it is Mobile data and WiFi I suspect that
>> it is not the ISP.

If the mobile and wifi is the same telco, it could be the DNS. you could always do a Tracert if you are curious
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 11 Sep 21 at 17:46
 Car4Play - No FM2R
Tracert is going to be a right PITA with an intermittent fault, I think.

Thanks for the suggestion but I guess I'll just live with it.
 Car4Play - Kevin
tracert might not work anyway. Quite a few gateways drop ICMP ECHO requests in the bit-bucket as a partial counter-measure against DDoS. Either that or give them to a sacrificial server to respond to.
If it is local DNS problems try changing your DNS server to Google or Cloudflare's public service. (8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1).
 Car4Play - MD
>> tracert might not work anyway. Quite a few gateways drop ICMP ECHO requests in the bit-bucket as a partial counter-measure against DDoS. Either that or give them to a sacrificial server to respond to.
If it is local DNS problems try changing your DNS server to Google or Cloudflare's public service. (8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1).

Right. That's clear then. I'll try it :-)

Say again. Was it 4 sand and 1 cement? My word, I am 'out of it'.
 Car4Play - No FM2R

>> If it is local DNS problems try changing your DNS server to Google or Cloudflare's
>> public service. (8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1).

It is (was) a DNS problem, though I am not entirely sure why or perhaps how. Changed to Google's DNS server and it appears to have gone away.

MD - it means the bit that tells my computer where to find another computer is either confused or wrong. So I use someone else's bit which is a bit more on the ball.
 Car4Play - tyrednemotional
>> MD - it means the bit that tells my computer where to find another computer
>> is either confused or wrong. So I use someone else's bit which is a bit
>> more on the ball.
>>

...that's computing for you.....all a matter of bits...
 Car4Play - zippy
Just to report that I’m getting a certificate error when trying to connect via some devices.
 Car4Play - smokie
Sounds like something expired at end of Sept!

Which device types zippy? It's OK on my PC and my Android
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 1 Oct 21 at 16:47
 Car4Play - zippy
HP Windows 10 Laptop.

(Work's machine running it's own private DNS and web protocol software.)
 Car4Play - tyrednemotional
..it's OK here, and the certificate is reported as renewed at the start of September.

I wonder (given Zippy's comment on DNS servers) whether this is a throw-back to the migration and certificate work in January.

If the private DNS has not been updated or has been refreshed in error, and the old version of the forum is still reachable, then there would (I think) be certificate errors. It would only apply if that access hadn't been used since the change, or if the private DNS server had somehow had the address reverted.
Latest Forum Posts