Non-motoring > Two Hacks at work / Twitter and Client Email Computing Issues
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 11

Two Hacks at work / Twitter and Client Email - zippy
Twitter:

I have a work twitter account to tweet my clients about system outages, changes in rates, offers etc.

It's in my name but I don't actually operate it, it's done by a marketing company and media people in the bank and I don't have the password. All of the other account managers have one as well.

Call from a client today (yes a Sunday - this client wouldn't ring unless important so I picked up), thanking me for the link to Big Bertha's Bouncing Delights, but she didn't think it was appropriate to share to business customers. (She of course knew it wasn't me and was humorously alerting me to the hack.)

Client Email:

This one happened earlier this month and the payload analysis came out on Friday. The details have come out from an email from out IT Risk department and have been dumbed down...

A colleague's (who I know) client sent a pack of data in response to a loan request. We were working on the new loan with them and expected the data.

The thing is we had already received a huge tranche from them as expected in an encrypted file.

A new batch of data came through, this time different encryption and the password sent with it which raised an eyebrow or two and the email was annotated with "just a little more info regards Joshua".

Joshua (not his real name) is know as Josh to his staff and to us and signs his emails as such. Josh always sends the password separately - not on email.

The attachment was not opened but sent to our "Phishing" team.

It turns out the client was targeted because they banked with us and the package was looking for one of our applications to specifically target to withdraw funds.

Apparently firms are being targeted not to get to them but their customers, suppliers and bankers.
 Messages Author Date
 Two Hacks at work / Twitter and Client .. new zippy 15 Aug 21 23:40
 Two Hacks at work / Twitter and Client Em.. new Kevin 15 Aug 21 23:49
 Two Hacks at work / Twitter and Client E.. new Fullchat 16 Aug 21 18:49
 Two Hacks at work / Twitter and Client .. new No FM2R 16 Aug 21 18:55
 Two Hacks at work / Twitter and Client.. new zippy 16 Aug 21 20:16
 Two Hacks at work / Twitter and Clie.. new No FM2R 16 Aug 21 20:21
 Two Hacks at work / Twitter and Cli.. new Bobby 16 Aug 21 20:45
 Two Hacks at work / Twitter and Cl.. new No FM2R 16 Aug 21 20:55
 Two Hacks at work / Twitter and C.. new zippy 16 Aug 21 21:01
 Two Hacks at work / Twitter and .. new No FM2R 16 Aug 21 21:09
 Two Hacks at work / Twitter an.. new zippy 16 Aug 21 21:54