Non-motoring > Cat loses his chip Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 8

Cat loses his chip - Ambo
During regular visits to the vet our cat has his chip checked. Yesterday it could not be detected in full body checks by two separate staff members. He had to be re-chipped. Have other posters experienced this with their pets?
 Cat loses his chip - smokie
This web site animalpath.org/my-cats-microchip-has-moved/ says this, which rather surprised me

"A microchip is a radiofrequency identification device the size of a grain of rice that’s inserted into your cat’s skin usually between the shoulder blades. It usually should not move. What may cause it move is the activity within your cat’s body especially when muscles and tissues move across each other or when fat levels change. Microchips are usually injected in between a cat’s shoulder blades but if it is positioned high up the neck there’s a tendency for it to move from the shoulder to the leg or chest area. Also, if it’s placed too far back and not within the shoulder blades’ pockets then a microchip may migrate around the belly or even to the rear leg. "

I presume they checked all over it?
 Cat loses his chip - Rudedog
They can definitely migrate around your pets body and can be no where near where they were put in, I'm assuming that they are passive RFID tags and different brands can be detected equally?

From my experiences I don't think they are totally foolproof, the one in our 17 year old cat stopped being detected some time ago.

Cat loses his chip - Kevin
Mr Gates has issued instructions for Zero's chip to be replaced. He isn't responding well to commands so it appears to be faulty.
 Cat loses his chip - Ambo
Thanks for the interesting lead. Yes, full body and by two separate staff members.

I don't know the brand.
 Cat loses his chip - Zero
>> Mr Gates has issued instructions for Zero's chip to be replaced. He isn't responding well
>> to commands so it appears to be faulty.

The instruction set was too small to control something so complex.
 Cat loses his chip - tyrednemotional
>>
>> The instruction set was too small to control something so complex.
>>

....and it's running Python, not feline....
>> >>
>> >> The instruction set was too small to control something so complex.
>> >>
>>
>> ....and it's running Python, not feline....

Thats a load of Cobols, You JES go back to Basics.
Pupster was chipped at 8 weeks prior to my picker her up. Two weeks later at my vet it couldnt be found, Vet says its no unknown for chip to travel back up and out the path it came in on.

So she was rechipped. Waste of time however as the KC have completely cocked up the database to the point of being unusable.
Latest Forum Posts