Technical Car/Motor Issues > SEAT Alhambra - 09 2 Rattle
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 13

SEAT Alhambra - 09 2 Rattle - wotspur
I have an 09 Alhambra , back at xmas I noticed a distinctive rattle , a s the mobile phone that sits on a hands free unit in the middle of the dash board moves all over the place when I’m doing 50ish on the A roads ,as soon as I’m up to 70 there’s no problem .
Back at xmas , I was notified a front tyre had a bulge ,and that might be the reason .so I changed it . Nope no improvement but the tyre had to be changed . They recommmend the two ball joint suspensions straps were faulty ,so they got changed , still no change ,
What else might it be ?
 SEAT Alhambra - 09 2 Rattle - Pezzer
Have all the wheels been balanced/checked ?
Yes , I had the rods done after the tyre had been changed ,and the. Had it all balanced , forgot to mention it .
Must also say I carry quite a bit of stuff in the car ,and it’s now upto nearly 140k miles done
 SEAT Alhambra - 09 2 Rattle - bathtub tom
>>moves all over the place when I’m doing 50ish on the A roads ,as soon as I’m up to 70 there’s no problem .

That suggests to me it's harmonic, two things combining. Does it do it in all gears, what about neutral?
You don't mention if it's petrol or diseasal.
Yeah it’s a diesel , it has to be when I’m in 3rd of 4th gear ,amd worse if in 5th , no it’s only when I’m going along and between 45-55 and it seems to disappear above 60 and no problems at all at 70 ,as I say it’s weird
 SEAT Alhambra - 09 2 Rattle - sooty123
So, just to confirm, if you sit on your drive in neutral and rev it and no point/at any rev speed can you replicate the rattle?
In all honesty never tried that so I’ll try that tomorrow , thanks for the suggestion
Sorry for the delay ,been ultra busy,.
I’ve tried sitting in the car in neutral and revving it up ,and nothing , it’s only when I’m in 3 or 4th gear , esp worse if struggling to get up to 60 ,say someone’s just pulled out on me on a motorway going up hill ,and I’ve had to slow down , then change down ,the rocking and shuddering is horrible .......I think I’ll have to get a mechanic to take it for a spin , but I live about 8 miles from anywhere they’ll be able to get it up to this speed .
Any further suggestion greatfully received
 SEAT Alhambra - 09 2 Rattle - Dog
>>the rocking and shuddering is horrible

So it shakes and rattles, does it roll as well?

:o}
 SEAT Alhambra - 09 2 Rattle - Zero
>> Any further suggestion greatfully received

Assuming its a diesel, its a very expensive DMF, or a not nearly so expensive defective engine mount.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 14 Jun 21 at 03:06
Sorry , DMF what might that be .I spoke to a friend and he suggested drive shafts , so let’s hope when it goes to the garage next week it’s a defective engine Mount and nothing too expensive
 SEAT Alhambra - 09 2 Rattle - Zero
DMF, Dual Mass Flywheel. Its a kind of shock absorber flywheel, prone to go on diesels of that vintage and its an engine half out and gearbox off to fix it job. 4 figures sometimes
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 25 Jun 21 at 20:14
 SEAT Alhambra - 09 2 Rattle - sooty123
Can you recreate it in 5th?

I would say though, it's transmission related. Possibly a gearbox mount. Seems odd to only get it in 2 gears and no others.
 SEAT Alhambra - 09 2 Rattle - Dave_
I'll add my ha'penn'orth and say my old man's Passat had the same symptoms eventually diagnosed as a driveshaft warped out of true. That was a good 20 years ago though.

Yours is best diagnosed by a garage; otherwise the parts cannon could become rather expensive.
Latest Forum Posts