Computer Related > Mesh wifi Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 11

Mesh wifi - Manatee
The house I'm building will almost certainly need multiple wireless access points (using that term non-technically). It's on 2 storeys, there is aluminium sheeting for the upstairs heating above most of the ground floor ceilings, the modem router will be at the front right corner of the house and it's about 18 metres from the router to the most distant point on the plan. I've played around with wireless extenders before and they have been rubbish.

I have a quote from the electrician to install 3 Ubiquiti wireless access points, about £400.

I believe these are cabled, whether just back to the modem router or to each other I'm not sure.

It strikes me I could just buy something like this MESH kit

www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Seamless-Connection-Everywhere-Complete/dp/B07RRWL39N/

5 discs are about £200, plug them in around the house and go. These Mini Whole Home ones are slower than the full fat BT Whole Home ones but FTTC only goes to about 60Mbps where I live anyway.

I'm minded to do the MESH kit as it's cheaper. Is it worth wiring them up for ethernet backhaul? It should make the wifi faster but as the wifi should be much faster than the internet connection anyway, is there any benefit?

I haven't really much of a clue about this but I think either of these set ups should be much better than wifi extenders?
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 31 Mar 21 at 16:19
 Messages Author Date
 Mesh wifi new Manatee 31 Mar 21 16:17
 Mesh wifi new rocket 31 Mar 21 17:17
 Mesh wifi new Zero 31 Mar 21 17:26
 Mesh wifi new tyrednemotional 31 Mar 21 17:42
 Mesh wifi new Crankcase 31 Mar 21 17:58
 Mesh wifi new Zero 31 Mar 21 19:02
 Mesh wifi new Manatee 1 Apr 21 07:21
 Mesh wifi new Zero 1 Apr 21 08:57
 Mesh wifi new Crankcase 1 Apr 21 09:25
 Mesh wifi new Zero 1 Apr 21 09:30