Computer Related > blimey Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 7

blimey - Zero
I hoiked a little PC out of the cupboard for my new / old hobby ( I have recovered my ham radio license from the DTI*) hoping to use it for various radio interface stuff.

Its a tiny little 2006 ASUS Eee PC seashell series. pathetic little two core intel Atom, 2 gb memory and a 160gb sata drive running windows 7 starter. I tried stripping it back to basics, but some stuff got screwed so I did a recovery back to factory state using the hidden partition. There the issues started, Winbdows update refused to start, and Windows 7 Service pack 1 is now unavailable.

For a laugh, I thought - lets try, so I went to the now largely unadvertised windows upgrade web page and tried the old free upgrade to Windows 10 tool. It hummed away for a long time and said "lets go" so I did.

Result? I now have windows 10 running on what should be utterly pathetic hardware, in theory it should be as speedy as concrete. Ok its not snappy by any means, but it works and its working to a level its useable - in fact I am typing this post on the very same machine

To say I am suprised is an understatement, even impressed.

* Gave it up in 1983, a class B license, delighted to find that in the interveing years all the records got destroyed in some IRA bomb, and on sending them my paper license they have given me my old call sign back AND I now have a full unrestricted license.
 Messages Author Date
 blimey new Zero 4 Mar 21 08:22
 blimey new Duncan 4 Mar 21 08:48
 blimey new tyrednemotional 4 Mar 21 08:58
 blimey new Bromptonaut 4 Mar 21 09:03
 blimey new Zero 4 Mar 21 09:19
 blimey new smokie 4 Mar 21 09:11
 blimey new Zero 4 Mar 21 09:29
 blimey new Zero 5 Mar 21 08:54
Latest Forum Posts