Computer Related > Problem powering desktop on Computing Issues
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 17

Problem powering desktop on - Mike H
Having spent a fruitless couple of hours searching on the internet for a solution to the power up problems with my old desktop, I thought it was time to ask the real experts :-)

The machine is about 13 years old. I had some intermittent problems with it booting up some 4 years ago, which I eventually discovered was the SATA controller, so I used an old PATA drive. It has an ATX motherboard, which unfortunately is a MESH proprietary one, and there doesn't seem to be any documentation available for it.

I successfully loaded Windows 7 and upgraded to Windows 10 about a year ago. It was pretty slow but fine for surfing and the odd spreadsheet, and seemingly totally reliable. It's only used as a backup machine, and not often, as I usually use a laptop.

During lockdown we tidied our study and move the desk, complete with desktop, a foot or so. Next time I tried to boot it up, absolutely nothing happened. It hadn't been physically touched except to be moved with the desk.

The LED lights up on the motherboard, which indicates power to the board, but I can't seem to measure any power on the 20-pin connector. Perhaps I'm being naive in expecting to?

I have reset the BIOS by removing the battery overnight, then installed a new one (battery that is).

I have tried powering it on with only one memory stick connected, and swapped memory sticks.

I have tried both shorting the pins on the motherboard for the power on button, and swapped the connectors with the reset button as suggested online.

I have unsuccessfully tried powering it on without the HDD and the DVD drives connected.

The bizarre thing is, that if I remove the 20-pin power socket and only connect the 4-pin connector that mates to it, the CPU fan will run and the HDD spin. If I connect either the 20-pin on it's own, or in conjunction with the 4-pin, we're back to square one, it's dead as a dodo.

Suspecting a power supply problem, I ordered a new power supply from Amazon and connected it today - but even when I connect just the 4-pin connector, nothing happens, which is different to the old PSU. I am not measuring any voltages on the new one either, even on pins which did show a voltage on the old one.

I'm still thinking it's a PSU problem, and the replacement one is faulty. Does this sound reasonable?

And finally, has anyone else got any ideas, because I'm stumped! I should say that my main area of expertise with PCs is as a pretty knowledgable user, but I don't have a lot of hardware experience, although I'm usually quite capable of poking around the innards when necessary.

Messages Author Date
 Problem powering desktop on new Mike H 12 Jan 21 16:43
 Problem powering desktop on new tyrednemotional 12 Jan 21 16:59
 Problem powering desktop on new Mike H 12 Jan 21 19:30
 Problem powering desktop on new Mike H 13 Jan 21 14:14
 Problem powering desktop on new No FM2R 12 Jan 21 17:01
 Problem powering desktop on new smokie 12 Jan 21 17:45
 Problem powering desktop on new Mike H 12 Jan 21 19:42
 Problem powering desktop on new Mike H 13 Jan 21 14:22
 Problem powering desktop on new Mike H 12 Jan 21 19:32
 Problem powering desktop on new Mike H 13 Jan 21 14:16
 Problem powering desktop on new Zero 12 Jan 21 17:10