Technical Car/Motor Issues > MoT dilemma – best option Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 4

MoT dilemma – best option - Rudedog
I’m aware of the six month extension to my current test date but I’ve had two potential issues one of which will hopefully work itself out and one I’m going to ask you guys for advice.

First issue was with my wife’s car that has it’s MoT due this month on the 22nd, locally to me the garages are closed for testing so we have decided to allow the extension to happen, the one fly in the ointment is that her tax is due at the end of this month, I tried to renew the tax but they still have the restriction of not being able to tax your car unless your current MoT goes into the new tax period, going by the website the extensions should automatically be applied three days before your current MoT runs out, so hopefully it should be ok for me to try on the 19th to renew using the extension date, if it hasn’t worked apparently I have to email the car tax department.

My issue is slightly different, my tax is due in mid-May and I usually go to a not-so local VW dealer who offers a reduced price MoT plus their hourly rate for any work is about 2/3rds that of my other VW dealer (which is closed), I usually get ‘reminder’ emails and calls from the garage asking if I would like to book my car in a month early (which I always have).

Last night and today they have contacted me so they are obviously open for at least MoT’s, my dilemma is this, if I take them up and book my car in (would have to be on a weekend as I’m working) and for some reason they find something wrong I will feel obliged to get any work done course depending on what it is, (I don’t expect any problems as I’ve done basic maintenance on my car that only having a driveway and jack allows), hopefully they would still be able to provide a loan car and get parts easily if needed.

With the lock-down would it be acceptable to travel about 40 miles in total to visit the garage, or I should just let the automatic extension happen and get my car MoT’d asap in a few months’ time?

Messages Author Date
 MoT dilemma – best option new Rudedog 17 Apr 20 13:34
 MoT dilemma – best option new Zero 17 Apr 20 15:11
 MoT dilemma – best option new Rudedog 17 Apr 20 16:25
 MoT dilemma – best option new wotspur 23 Apr 20 20:47
 MoT dilemma – best option new Terry 24 Apr 20 12:18
Latest Forum Posts