Motoring Discussion > A motoring snaphot..... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 21

A motoring snaphot..... - BobbyG
Just completed a 2 day trip from Glasgow to Hull, to Liverpool and back home and thought I would jot down some observations and see how many turn into discussion points. Might be interesting viewing it threaded!

Drove the works Ford Transit, 07 plate diesel. Absolutely fantastic. High seating position, cup holder part of dashboard, good mirrors, sat at 75-80 most of the way comfortably, everything within reach, arm rest for extra comfort. Over the whole journey I averaged 33mpg with an empty van.

There will be many on here who do this sort of journey every week, I do it a couple of times a year thus my observations, (most of which there is absolutely no scientific backup to prove)

1. The Audi A4 is the most common car on the Motorway.
2. Flashing Orange beacons should not be allowed on any moving vehicle, should be solely reserved for stationery vehicles on the hard shoulder.
3. Whilst a Transit blind spot mirror will show a vehicle alongside the van, it will not show a motorcycle if the motorcycle takes up the position on the RHS of the adjacent lane ie where a car driver would be.
4. Saw 2 Audi R8, "10" plates, both metallic blue, within about half an hour of each other on the A66.
5. Saw 2 brand new "10" plate old-style VW camper vans, both with the reg VW10...
6. Lorries should not be allowed to have an array of lights at the front and should not be allowed lit signs at the rear of their cabs, these surely must reflect on the windscreen?
7. There are many many roadworks where nothing seems to be getting done.
8. If you stay at the Travel Inn in Heswall then you will not be able to get o2 phone reception and thus can't sit back and have a beer or two whilst browsing this website.
9. Saw a very strange accident on Wed on A1, artic sitting in lane 2 of 4 I think, a Skoda Octavia estate was wedged diagonally into its front corner but did not seem to have any damage, and the 2 drivers were standing in front of the vehicles whilst vehicles continued to pelt past them on each side!
10. Police in Hull use strange cars, struggled to make them out but maybe old style Mitsubishi Charismas or Protons?
11. Lorry drivers must have some way to keep themselves occupied and amused whilst trundling along for hours at a time at 56mph.
12. The driver of an old style Roller with part of the reg "KA" has a weak bladder.
13. I really need to update the maps on my TomTom.
14. I had downloaded the speed camera warnings from web - on a journey that length you become oblivious to the constant warnings - I ended up turning them off.
15. At 9am in Heswall, the length of time it takes you to eat a cooked breakfast is the exact time required for the earth to rotate enough for the sun to defrost your van windows.

Think that will do for now!
 Messages Author Date
 A motoring snaphot..... new BobbyG 4 Mar 10 22:13
 A motoring snaphot..... new smokie 4 Mar 10 22:44
 A motoring snaphot..... new Dave_ 4 Mar 10 22:49
 A motoring snaphot..... new rtj70 4 Mar 10 23:00
 A motoring snaphot..... new BobbyG 4 Mar 10 23:08
 A motoring snaphot..... new Bellboy 4 Mar 10 23:19
 A motoring snaphot..... new MD 4 Mar 10 23:32
 A motoring snaphot..... new BobbyG 5 Mar 10 08:40
 A motoring snaphot..... new BiggerBadderDave 5 Mar 10 08:45
 A motoring snaphot..... new Pat 5 Mar 10 09:05