Motoring Discussion > USB phone charging in cars Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 57

USB phone charging in cars - smokie
SWMBOs 2011 Fiesta has a USB port but it isn't man enough to charge my phone. I guess it's the oldest USB standard with low amps.

Has anyone found a way to improve this, I have had a hunt around and I think I'm stuck with it but if anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate it.
 USB phone charging in cars - Bromptonaut
Neither of our cars have a USB connection but I suspect trying to upgrade one is game not worth candle territory as you'd (presumably) need to locate and upgrade the 12v/5v converter. OTOH USB chargers delivering as many amps as you need that plug into the 12v ciggy lighter derived socket are pretty cheap.

It's only in last few years that micro USB has become default/universal power connector. Prior to that it provided a few hundred milliamps piggy backed onto a data connection.
Ah yes, didn't think of that as a solution!!!

Mind you, the last "high powered" one of those gave awful interference on the radio. Maybe it was a cheapie.
>> Mind you, the last "high powered" one of those gave awful interference on the radio.
>> Maybe it was a cheapie.

We've had to muck about with models and swap between cars to find one that doesn't interfere with the radio. Main culprit is one Mrs B has that will support her habit of having phone and tablet on charge/power at same time. Tablet is tethered to phone for data.

May actually be one of the devices feeding in the interference but oddly for electricals it affects VHF/FM worse than AM.
 USB phone charging in cars - Stuartli
My HTC 10 phone has the far more sturdy USB C connector (can be inserted either way round) which is, I believe, likely to also be used by Apple for its products in future.
I've had USB C for some time on all our phones but that doesn't make any difference unfortunately - it's the amperage provided from the socket that counts. Yesterday I was using Waze to navigate with the phone plugged in (and admittedly screen turned on all the time) and the battery was draining rather than charging!!

Btw Stuart, I think I was up your way during the week - we stayed in Liverpool and one day drove out to Crosby Sands to see Another Place. That's up your way isn't it...? tinyurl.com/y8yj8jdf
>>Btw Stuart, I think I was up your way during the week - we stayed in Liverpool and one day drove out to Crosby Sands to see Another Place. That's up your way isn't it...? >>

Yes, I'm about 15 miles further up the coast (Southport). The Antony Gormley statues are remarkable and a hugely popular attraction. Been there for more than 10 years now yet still remain firmly in place, despite getting a real battering from the Mersey Estuary's powerful winds and rain at times.

Good spot too to watch the big cruise liners and other ships go in and out of Liverpool.
 USB phone charging in cars - Zero

>> I believe, likely to also be used by Apple for
>> its products in future.

Only on one end, the other end, the phone end will continue to be a lightning connector.
>>Only on one end, the other end, the phone end will continue to be a lightning connector. >>

Yes, in my case the other end is the standard USB, but HTC supply a fast charger. The phone can be virtually fully charged from an almost flat battery in an hour.

The beauty of the USB C connector is that it can be inserted either way into the phone and is very much more study than the micro/miniUSB connectors.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sat 14 Jul 18 at 12:43
 USB phone charging in cars - R.P.
Touratech have one. Expensive for a reason.

shop.touratech.co.uk/motorbike-usb-charger-bikemonkey.html
 USB phone charging in cars - PeterS
>>
>> Yes, in my case the other end is the standard USB, but HTC supply a
>> fast charger. The phone can be virtually fully charged from an almost flat battery in
>> an hour.
>>

You can achieve the same fast charging of an iPhone by using an iPad charger :)
Last edited by: PeterS on Sat 14 Jul 18 at 13:28
>>You can achieve the same fast charging of an iPhone by using an iPad charger :) >>:

True, but iPhone owning friends use my HTC charger to do exactly the same thing....:-)
We have 4 way USB chargers at various points around the house and a supply of mini/micro connectors. Guests with Apple kit are expected to provide their own connectors although we have a couple as Bromp Junior would forget his balls if nature hadn't given him a bag to keep them in.
 USB phone charging in cars - bathtub tom
My '14 reg yaris has a USB port situated (most inconveniently) in the glove box. This (just about) maintains a charge on SWMBO's android.

I've a dashcam plugged into the fag lighter, I guess I'll have to look for a doubler for that socket and some way of supplying her needs.
 USB phone charging in cars - VxFan
>> I've a dashcam plugged into the fag lighter, I guess I'll have to look for
>> a doubler for that socket and some way of supplying her needs.

Run the dash cam from the OBD2 port instead and free up the ciggy lighter for something else.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBDII-Charging-Cable-Micro-USB-Adapter-16Pin-OBD2-Direct-Link-for-Dash-Cam-DVR/172755073982

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBDII-Micro-USB-Power-Adapter-Charger-w-Switch-Hard-Wired-to-DVR-Tracker-Phone/172717034030

Most of these also have low voltage protection, or you can set it so the device powers down after a set period of time.
 USB phone charging in cars - No FM2R
You could replace your lighter socket with this, or indeed you could replace the existing USB charging port, depending on the dash space & configuration.

All you need do is decide whether to mount it in the existing cigarette lighter socket (probably easiest) or replace the existing USB point. [might be a bit tricky, especially if it is anything other than simply a power outlet]. There is no need to waste any time with the existing wiring on the current USB charging port, just put this in instead.

Of course, if it is also a port to the entertainment or phone system in the car, then I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6S2SNM/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B01N6S2SNM&linkCode=as2&tag=zentrose-20&linkId=fe1fb4a9fd1039a4360395dee9c19a0d
 USB phone charging in cars - Duncan
Ear you are £2.19 - and branded!

tinyurl.com/y9pjhxpk

Double socket USB plug thing.
 USB phone charging in cars - MD
I have that Griffin jobby. Works fine, but I paid nearer a tenner for mine!
The Griffin device doesn't deliver enough amps for the smartphones. Need to be 2.1 I believe.

The double wired-in socket would be good if I was handy enough to fit it. I may look into that bit more.
If you want to put the double wired-in socket in the place where a cigarette lighter is now it is simplicity itself. The only difficult bit is physically getting the old one out.

Check YouTube, there's a million videos. There's even one for a Fiesta, though God knows if it's the right Fiesta.
 USB phone charging in cars - Duncan
>> The Griffin device doesn't deliver enough amps for the smartphones. Need to be 2.1 I
>> believe.

'ere we go again.

tinyurl.com/ycswzxyo

2.1 of those amp things.

Cheaper as well!

I should get an award, you know!
:-) Thanks Duncan, where would I be without you :-)

I have ordered one... that'd be the easy solution

But I'm going to check the YouTubes of the other thing too.
>> Of course, if it is also a port to the entertainment or phone system in
>> the car, then I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

I'd be certain that its primary purpose is to connect a pen drive to entertainment system; 5volts at <1000ma is a side show. The Roomie's handbook suggests some versions have a USB slot for audio content but nothing else. Om mine there's just a aux socket for output from phone/MP3 device etc. Similar on Berlingo except it's got red/white (left/right) RCA connector in glove box.
>> 5volts at <1000ma is a side show

I don't really know what that means: 1 amp was pretty typical for 2011.

>> I don't really know what that means: 1 amp was pretty typical for 2011.

I'm not sure what your point is either. If 1 amp was typical by 2011 then less than 1 amp/1000ma wasn't unusual then or before. AIUI the original USB power supply was intended to keep a mouse, keyboard or just possibly an MP3 player going, not to charge a phone or SatNav.
Have you tried a different tack?

I have one of these power bank chargers:

tinyurl.com/ycqyrdzz

(Anker is a very respected US manufacturer)

and also acquired a different, slightly higher capacity, equivalent for interested friends when the above version was out of stock for a time (also a bit cheaper):

tinyurl.com/y7npdg3s

Yep, I have a couple of the 22,400 mAh versions of the EC Technologies USB3 one (like this tinyurl.com/yaq7x74t). (There are now more recent versions on Amazon, where mine were from, which look even better, with quick charging)

They are brilliant bits of kit but a bit too clumsy for the intended purpose.

Daughter also got me a cheap solar powerbank earlier this year with a nominal 10k mAh capacity, which may be correct but the solar has trouble charging it, even in the current heatwave!!
The link doesn't work, probably because it's now no longer available, but it's a terrific capacity. I assume this example is one of the more recent versions?

tinyurl.com/ycsbohym

The ones I mentioned (especially the very compact Anker product) will charge a phone several times though and have a maximum amp of 2.1. iPhones seem to have much smaller batteries than Android phones (I'm thinking of the earlier models), so friends have been pleased to acquire such power banks, in particular one who does a lot of cycling in more remote areas.
That's exactly the one.

I bought a smaller Anker one from Amazon a year back but had to send it back as it failed. I believe that was unlucky rather than a reflection on the brand.

I have some work to do with my phone as it does seem to lose power quickly sometimes, but for sure, with an HD display, using it always-on (e.g. for satnav) would sap it quickly. None of the battery reporting tools have found any app which is constant heavy battery user, though I was surprised at the number of apps which start at boot time - bit like Windows really - but as they are likely to be leaving only a low resource stub for quick activation I don't think they'd be the cause of poor battery life. More likely just my usage.
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 15 Jul 18 at 13:04
>> None of the battery reporting tools have found any app which is constant heavy battery user, though I was surprised at the number of apps which start at boot time>>

Avast! regularly lists apps that are particularly heavy battery users (Samsung in particular has a number of them):

blog.avast.com/android-report-these-apps-crush-your-phones-battery
 USB phone charging in cars - rtj70
I had one of those albeit with a different brand on it. It was from a few years ago and it was a heavy old thing. But it stopped working (charge light stayed on) so I thought it best to take it apart and dispose of safely.... cells inside were the same ones used in a Tesla Model S :-) No wonder it was heavy with about 5 of those inside.
 USB phone charging in cars - Manatee
I have 3 of these in different cars, for charging 2 phones at once or in the case of the MX-5 one phone and a dash cam (the socket is hidden in the footwell).

Anker 2 x USB 4.8A charger

amzn.eu/g9gtS8k

Just about keeps up with a Huawei P9 using google maps with the screen on full brightness, but I think that is as much to do with what the phone will draw as with the supply.
The Beemer came with a shed load of 2.1 amp USBs scattered around the place, and a 3 amp twin usb 12v adaptor.
Expensive solution for SWMBOs Fiesta that, Zero :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 15 Jul 18 at 23:31
>> The Beemer came with a shed load of 2.1 amp USBs scattered around the place,
>> and a 3 amp twin usb 12v adaptor.
>>

Do you have the wireless charging as well Z? Is it any good? It’s a bit rubbish in the 2 series, but it’s include in the Media Pack XL that I’ve ordered in the MINI so I wondered if it’d been improved in the last few years...
>> Do you have the wireless charging as well Z?

No, I dont have a wireless charging phone, and its bundled with Apple Car Play, I don't have one of them either. There is no Android Auto feature, nor will there be one.

Is it any good?

No it has a fundamental problem, its located in a sliding cubby, that is too small for anything other than an iphone 5!!!!!!!!!!!

Bluetooth integration for phone is great tho, including spotify!!!!!!
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 15 Jul 18 at 22:44
Thanks! Mines in the armrest, and it’s plenty big enough for an iPhone X. It’s just slow...in fact if you’re using the phone for audio via Bluetooth it just about holds its charge level, rather than actually charging. So I plug it in :)

And yeah, Spotify integration either via Bluetooth or USB is good. Works well with idrive. I use it all the time :)
 USB phone charging in cars - Boxsterboy
USB phone charging in cars? Pah!
My Peugeot Traveller has (as standard) a 220v 3-pin plug on the back of the drivers seat! An excellent feature - more cars should have them.
The Transits in work have 13amp sockets between the seats. Not used one yet though !
>> USB phone charging in cars? Pah!
>> My Peugeot Traveller has (as standard) a 220v 3-pin plug on the back of the
>> drivers seat!

Don't the pins stick into your back?
 USB phone charging in cars - Boxsterboy
Yes - quite shocking when I go over a bump :-)
Just googled Peugeot Traveller - I was half expecting a half timbered estate...!
Second Holy Thread Resurrection moment of the day.

As mentioned in the courtesy car thread I'm having a problem with USB connection and Android Auto. It may turn out to be the phone or the car but first of all I want to obtain/try a decent quality USB lead. The current failing version is a cheap generic, probably came in a set from Amazon.

If it works it'll be a permanent fixture routed under the dash to the phone mount on the offside of the windscreen so 2metres - 1.8 is a tad too short.

Are there brands and/or price points folks with suitable experience could suggest?

To be clear I'm at the same point as somebody wanting speaker cable that's way better than bell wire but way off the oxygen boosted gold/unobtanium stuff that's £££/metre.
 USB phone charging in cars - sooty123
Cheap 2 quid odd ones from ebay, I've found, are hit and miss. Ones that I've had no problems with are sold by kenable_ltd on ebay.
 USB phone charging in cars - Manatee
If you're going to the trouble of routing it behind trim etc then buy one that is likely to be to spec. and last. There's more to USB C (assumption that's what you want) than just connecting.

Belkin should be OK if genuine. Amazon Basics have been tested ISTR and were to spec and the one I have works for fast charging. You might need to buy a 3m. one, and as it's for data as well I'd go for USB 3. I've also a few basic Anker ones that I've had a fair while and they have been no bother either but I think the ones I have are USB 2.

I have bought cheap cables that work on other stuff but won't charge the boss's Samsung tablet and in one case her Sony phone.

>> spec and the one I have works for fast charging. You might need to buy
>> a 3m. one,

Some care in how you coil or route the excess is required, no lots of tight coils please, couple of large loops away from major car electronics.
 USB phone charging in cars - Fursty Ferret
Anker or Aukey are both fine in my experience. USB cables use differential signalling so can't - shouldn't? - interfere with other electronics.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Wed 27 Oct 21 at 11:34
>> Anker or Aukey are both fine in my experience. >>

I've a number of Anker products, including various cables and power packs. Top quality and very competitive prices.
It's micro USB as the phone's not that modern - Moto G 3rd or 4th Gen. Does all I want of it.

Anker or Belkin look like good shouts; might order one of each.

Like others we've had cheap generics that cause devices to be choosy and will convey charge but not data or vice versa. Getting it under the Fabia's dash isn't a massive undertaking with a few strips of gaffer tape then worming it into the outer edge by the driver's door.
>>It's micro USB as the phone's not that modern - Moto G 3rd or 4th Gen. *Does all I want of it.*

I just changed from a 3 - 4 year old phone to a recently released one. I've gained a new, and apparently more secure, version of android and a gazillion more pixels in the camera than I can actually see.

I can't see that I've gained any functionality I care about though.

Though I will say that the Type C connector seems a far more robust approach.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 28 Oct 21 at 00:56
Fast charging, that's been the biggest useful feature of USB 3
Very true, on a decent charger mine will go from 0 - 100% in an hour-ish.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 29 Oct 21 at 10:32
>> Very true, on a decent charger mine will go from 0 - 100% in an hour-ish.>>

Xiamoi's brand new Mi 11 5G does 0-100 per cent in 17 minutes..!!
My new MG does 0 - 60 in 7 seconds!
I think my Ford Explorer does about that and it weighs a gazillion kilograms.
 USB phone charging in cars - tyrednemotional
...no, that's full to empty in 7 seconds....
>> My new MG does 0 - 60 in 7 seconds!
>>

You re still two seconds behind me, quite a long way. And I can do it more than once between refueling....
 USB phone charging in cars - VxFan
China's latest EV can do it in 3.9 secs and weights 2500KG.

youtu.be/oMAlm8rqvO4?t=303
Latest Forum Posts