Non-motoring > Continent by car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 3

Continent by car - legacylad
Hope this helps anyone planning as it’s been a learning curve for myself.

Last year was my first car trip to Europe for several years...September 2023 I went Plymouth > Santander, returning to Portsmouth. Brittany Ferries...cost me almost a grand travelling solo, but it’s something I’d wanted to do so no complaints. That included the cheapest inside cabin, costs extra, but I’m too old to spend the night in a chair, especially when driving the next day.

I picked my friends brains and asked lots of questions.
Newhaven > Dieppe early September 08:30 sailing is costing me £87.50. 20% discount for over 60s. Telephone bookings only with DFDS to get the 20% discount. Afternoon sailings arriving nighttime are cheaper.

Returning mid October from Spain. It’s very easy to compare prices/ sailings on the BF website.
I got a ‘family & friends’ 10% discount code for the sailing, but no discount is allowed on the cabin. Cost from Bilbao, lunchtime sailing, arriving 17:30 the following day, was £307 with a 4 berth outside cabin. I’m not an experienced BF traveller, but that seems good value....even better if more than a solo traveller. Heck of a lot more returning from Santander, due to dynamic pricing so I was told.

Under £400 to take my car too and from the continent, at sensible times, and a hopefully smooth dolphin watching, chilling return voyage appears to be good value...I enjoy sea travel.
I haven’t bothered comparing prices for Dover > Calais or the tunnel...these crossings suited my potential agenda.

Hope that helps anyone planning a similar trip. Safe travels.
 Continent by car - smokie
That return journey is cheaper than I'd imagined it might be. I looked at the practicality of taking my car (an EV!) to Portugal a couple of years back and one option was ferry to Spain, offsetting tolls and overnight costs. I thought the round trip was around £1k which with fuel was not a lot different from flying down and renting.
 Continent by car - Terry
We have tried all three options - UK to Spain by ferry, cross channel and drive down through France, fly and hire.

Overall there is little cost difference (+/- £200) taking petrol, tolls, hotels en-route, car hire, airfares + baggage into account. On a particular day you may get a deal on one element but pay a fuller price on the rest.

The choice seems to revolve around personal travel preferences.

Wife detests the thought of 24 hours on a ferry across Biscay in winter, and I find it little fun (drab cabin, tedious). Drive down through Spain is about 9 hours depending on ferry schedule and may mean an overnight stay.

Drive down to southern Spain from channel ports is ~ 1200 miles + UK leg - 2 minimum and preferably 3 overnight stops. Only worth it if either playing tourist and stopping on the way down, or staying for several weeks (5/6++)

Fly hire is quickest and least painful - door to door from home via Malaga to apartment is 10-12 hours.
 Continent by car - legacylad
For me, retired and on a 6 week trip, the journey is better than the arrival…or do I discovered last year. That was more by necessity last year…my Spanish walking group had a organised a week in the Pyrenees, so I thought instead of flying to ALC and car rental I sailed to Santander.

I always like to be a little ‘adventurous’…just drive, stop, explore and look for accommodation ( or camp) late afternoon. Appreciate I’m in the minority on that one !

This year I’m spending a week driving through France, no plans, before staying at the home of French friends in the Pyrenees before a group week in Andorra, then SW to the Competa walking festival near Malaga. With good luck, especially health, I’ll make the 6 week September/October road trip an annual event.

I’m very fortunate and blessed in that respect.
Latest Forum Posts